Friday, August 24, 2007

The Perils of Packing


I'm leaving for the lovely Adriatic seaside in a week and I'm feeling that requisite pre-trip stress because there's so much to do. Clean my apartment, find someone to look after my cat (Tarah? :-) pre-pay all my bills...the list goes on. But what I hate the most is deciding what to pack. I usually end up not deciding at all and packing too much of everything from toiletries to clothing. I need to avoid that this time around since I'll be hulking my pack everywhere (there's no wheels on this baby!). Thus, the packing predicament begins.

First off, there's always the weather issue, which entails a coat conundrum. Which cute little jacket should I bring for sunny and warm weather? And a chance of foul weather means bringing a raincoat and possibly some standard Seattle fleece, two types of clothing that don't really make a woman feel her most attractive.

Then there's the shorts, shirts, pants and skirts dilemma. How many do I bring? And theymust mix and match. Do I pack that cute sundress even though it is cotton and prone to wrinkling? Do I just go buy a new one made out of a polyester blend? I'm already overwhelmed just thinking about it. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going there to impress people with my threads, but to experience a new culture and most of all relax. But I want to look good while I get my R& R!

It's the shoe decision that perplexes me the most. Rick Steves, the local travel guru, says you should bring just two pairs, a comfy walking shoe and a closed-toe shoe for more formal occasions. That's it? What if I want to hit a club? This petite girl needs her heels! So the search begins for a comfy shoe I can walk for miles in that can also be paired with a sassy sundress. Does such a wedge exist? I'll find out this weekend!

No comments: