Sunday, December 9, 2007

Year-End Retrospective

Although we still have a few weeks left of 2007, I always complete this questionnaire at the end of every year. It's a way to reminisce about my successes, revisit my failures and think about what I want in the upcoming year. It's also fun to look back at last year's and see how I've progressed (or regressed!). Give it a whirl and be honest! It's good introspective fun.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Visited Croatia, London and Venice, was an extra in a movie, went back country snowboarding up by Mt. Baker, completed a triathlon, attended fashion shows, tried authentic French food, tried online dating.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I think I did actually. I don't know if I'll make any this year...they seem kinda useless.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my good friends Melody and Jessica both gave birth to a baby boys named Ayden.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank god.

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, Italy, Croatia, England...drove through parts of Slovenia and Bosnia.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A job that pays better and doesn't suck out my soul and a condo that's more than 500 square feet.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sept. 14th - I was robbed at knife point in Split, Croatia
May 23rd - My grandmother turned 90

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Feeling comfortable in my own skin

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting out and singing more.
I didn't quite get all my debt paid off.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My plane ticket to Croatia.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Melissa....a true friend during a truly traumatic experience.
Melody...raising her son by herself with dignity and grace.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
*Alvin* (his name has been changed to protect the guilty). He started out as a prince charming but turned into a toad.
My boss....where do I begin?

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, eating out, my vacation

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My trip to Croatia.

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2007?
"The Way I Are" - Timbland
"Umbrella" - Rihanna
"Please Read the Letter" - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
"My Love For You Is Real" - Ryan Adams
"Sensual Seduction" - Snoop Dogg
"Lavender Hill" - The Real Tuesday Weld
"Slideshow" - Rufus Wainwright

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? a bit thinner
iii. richer or poorer? sadly, the same

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Accepted more challenges

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Feeling sorry for myself

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my mom's house in Montana

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Nope

23. How many one-night stands?
Notta one. Not my mode of operation anymore.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Dancing With the Stars...good cheesy fun.

25. What was the best book you read?
I know I'm a few years late on this one, but Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. A witty behind-the-scenes look at what really goes on in the restaurant world.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, The Real Tuesday Weld, Cary Brothers, Anthony Hamilton, LCD Soundsystem, Musique Soulchild, The Bird and the Bee, T. Rex (I know they were hot during the late '60s, early '70s, but I just got into them).

27. What did you want and get?
hmmm..well, the year isn't quite over yet. :-)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
There were a few...Lars and the Real Girl, Superbad, Knocked Up, Juno, Year of the Dog, 2 Days in Paris

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34. I went rafting down the Yakima River with my friends. They brought a cake along and we celebrated on a little island in the river. It was perfect...well, except for *Alvin* and his diva behavior.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Owning my own condo.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Sophisticated and sassy. I discovered local designers, funky t-shirts and I have a new appreciation for hand-made jewelry.

32. What kept you sane?
Good friends

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
TBD

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Anything religious right related. Extremists make my blood boil.

35. Who did you miss?
My grandma. I wish I could see her smiling face every day.

36. Who were the best new people you met?
Oh boy, I'll have to think about that one. There's so many.

37. What valuable life lesson(s) did you learn in 2007?
To trust my gut and not force something that doesn't feel right.

38. What was your favorite moment of the year?
TBD

39. Where were you when 2007 began and who were you with?
I was up at Mt. Baker with my friends Melissa, Tarah, Kristin and her husband Nate.

40. Where were you when 2007 ended and who were you with?
TBD

41. How many different states did you travel to in 2007?
Oregon, Idaho and Montana

42. How many concerts did you see in 2007?
Probably about 10 - Fiest, Viva Voce, Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter, The Arcade Fire, Bjork, The Long Winters, Jarvis Cocker,Coolio & Naughty By Nature, Rick Springfield, some Duran Duran tribute concert that included a lot of local bands, Paula Cole & Mandy Moore and John Mayer.

43. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Some folks get their fill and some folks get to foot the bill"

No comments: